Children's Book Reviews
for Kids of All Sizes
Note from Steve Barancik:
For a long time, this site only had the few children's book reviews I'd found time to write...
Then I put out word that the site was looking for a book reviewer. And then the perfect one walked in the (virtual) door.
And then in walked a second. And a third. Suddenly I'm swimming in children's book reviews!
These people don't just meet my highest expectations; they exceed them. I think you'll agree when you read their work.
(PJR) is mom to little Claire. Thus, she's our specialist in books for young children. Here's P.J.'s bio
P.J. has a special interest in books that promote emotional and intellectual intelligence and awareness. And by the way: P.J. only reviews books that she recommends!
(SH) has been a kindergarten teacher for nine years, indulging her love of writing with humorous (but informational!) web updates for the moms and dads of her students.
Her kids' books specialty is younger children, but she also brings us a love of elementary books, especially biographies, history, mysteries, and Christian, as well as science and nature. You'll almost sense the children gathered on the floor around her feet as you read her children's book reviews!
Read Suzanne Holland's bio.
(SD) is a recent college graduate (Ivy League! Honors degree in English Literature!) who now teaches preschool. She enjoys fantasy/magical books aimed at older kids, and of course picture books.
When reading her children's book reviews, know that she prefers books that encourage good values and behavior. Sarah also does a fair amount of writing for herself. Ask her about her 60 page paper on Beowulf!
Read Sarah Denslow's bio.
(RD) is a poet, an essayist, and a writer of fiction. She owned a publishing company, organizes and teaches writing workshops, and owns a professional editing service. She volunteers as an adult literacy tutor as well.
Ramona has a degree in Creative Writing and credits her parents with her love of books and reading.
Read Ramona Davis's bio.
Dimitrios Sokolakis (DS) lives and works in Athens, Greece as a managerial employee. That’s probably the happy ending after a BA degree in Business Studies and an MBA from two different UK Universities. During his spare time, Dimitrios and his wife love to escape from reality by coming up with beautiful children’s stories, getting help from their lovely daughters’ unlimited imagination.
Read Dimitrios Sokolakis's bio.
Natasha Withers (NW) is an only child whose mom knew to load her up with books books books to help fill the time! As a college student, Natasha rediscovered her love of children's books (and creative writing). She's working on her own book series, and she does everything she can to keep her younger cousins as excited about reading as she is.
Read Natasha Withers' bio.
(JF) has been an English Family Law practitioner and a homeschooling mom. She resides in Norwich, Norfolk, United Kingdom. She likes books that strike a wholesome note.
An author herself, Jane specializes in UK children's book reviews and Christian children's books as well.
Read Jane Finch's bio.
Known for her essays and poetry, Suzanne Edison (SEE) now treats us to her children's book reviews. With backgrounds in psychotherapy and education, Suzanne aims to focus on poetry for children of all ages, nature, graphic fiction/non-fiction, non-religious spirituality, adoption, and anti-bias.
Read Suzanne Edison's bio.
Monica Friedman (MF) is a born writer, with the credits, the MFA, and the scarring to prove it. She's also got a tremendous sense of humor.
Read Monica Friedman's bio.
Karen Nelson (KN)
Karen is a stay at home mom with three kids, a Vet Tech degree from North Dakota State University, and a certificate in Medical Transcription.
Karen enjoys crafts, gardening, cooking, and reading. And that includes reading to her children, of course!
Read Karen Nelson's bio.
Isabella Thompson (IT) is a former homeschooling mother of four avid readers and holds high standards for the books she lets into her life. She "relish[es] books with love and compassion as the main theme and those that portray characters living true to themselves and influencing others to do likewise."
Read Isabella Thompson's bio.
Sherri Trudgian (ST) is a mother, grandmother and the author of the Psalms for Kidz series.
Sherri knows kids are "giant sponges," and she wants to make sure they soak up the good stuff. She reviews both secular and Christian children's books.
Read Sherri Trudgian's bio.
(TS) wants to be Eloise, but she's going to have to settle for reviewing
Eloise. She's lived just about everywhere, but the one thing she always brings with her is her children's book library.
Blessed with a great sense of humor, she reviews from a parent's perspective - a parent who knows the kids always win. Her love of children's literature and her desire to write them mean we'll probably be reviewing her books before too long.
Read Tamara Splingaerd's bio.
(SS) is a teacher with a Masters and a homeschooling mom of two in Australia. She's taught in both Australia and Hong Kong, she's set up a preschool, and the "book bag" she takes with her and the boys to the library is actually a box on wheels!
Read Susan Syddall's bio.
(RB) is an artist who brings a background as a daycare director and degrees in both Sociology and Children's Media to the mix. She has a particular interest in children's novels (she blogs about them!). She hails from Toronto, Canada, and seems to find a lot of great British books we don't hear enough about.
Read Rosalyne Bowmile's bio.
(SB) is the creator of this site and the author of the Children's Behavior Books
. He is prouder than you can know that his site has attracted such a tremendous set of reviewers.
Steve believes that there's no better predictor of a child's future success than the degree of that child's interest in reading. That's why this site is devoted to helping parents keep their children interested!
Read Steve Barancik's ridiculously long bio.
Other Children's Book Reviewers:
How we bring you the best children's book reviews
Each children's book review you read on the site contains links to Amazon.com. When you buy a book through that link, our terrific reviewers make a little money, and you don't pay a penny more than you would have if you had surfed to Amazon directly.
Of course, we're big fans of libraries too. No matter where you live, we recommend WorldCat.org for finding books at the library nearest you.
Also, I'm a big fan of BookCloseOuts.com. They don't have every book, but the prices on the books they do have will blow you away. There's no better way to start an instant children's book library than paying a visit.
Finally, did you ever think a children's book might help your child overcome a problem behavior? It can. Learn more about my Child Behavior eBooks.
Children's Book Reviews
(with reviewer's initials)|
- 2 books about dogs PJR
- 5 books about compassion PJR
- 3 zany books picturing food PJR
- 4 alphabet books SH
- 5 books about starting school SH
- Animalia SB
- Are You My Mother? SB
- Back into Mommy's Tummy PJR
- Bear Snores On SD
- The Biggest, Best Snowman SH
- Bintou's Braids PJR
- Birds SD
- The Carrot Seed SEE
- Chicken Big DS
- Chicken Soup with Rice SD
- A Crash Course for Molly PJR
- The Day We Danced in Underpants ST
- A Day with No Crayons SD
- Everywhere the Cow Says "Moo!" PJR
- Flip, Flap, Fly! ST
- Go, Dog. Go! SB
- Happy Birthday, Moon SEE
- How Smoolie Became a Shy-entist PJR
- I'm Big Enough TS
- I Like Cats MF
- Inside, Outside, Upside Down JF
- I Will Not Ever Never Eat a Tomato PJR
- Kid Tea ST
- The Learning to Get Along series PJR
- The Little Red Fish SD
- The Llama Llama books SB
- LMNO Peas IT
- Mama's Wild Child/Papa's Wild Child PJR
- The Minerva Louise books PJR
- Mouse Paint SD
- My Little Sister, Doris JF
- Oh, I Am So Embarrassed! PJR
- One Naked Baby ST
- One of Each SD
- Our Tree Named Steve PJR
- Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale SEE
- Parsley Rabbit's Book about Books SS
- Pirates and Princesses KN
- A Pocket Full of Kisses DS
- Puddle's Big Step DS
- The Purple Balloon SB
- The Rainbow Fish SB
- Round Trip SH
- Sheep in a Jeep SB
- Snowballs SD
- The Snowman SD
- The Story Blanket SH
- Sweet Moon Baby SB
- Swim, Little Wombat, SWIM! JF
- The Terrible Plop SS
- That's Not Funny PJR
- Who Is Driving SD
- Yuck! That's Not a Monster! SS
- 4 Cinderella stories SH
- 4 fractured fairy tales SH
- 10-Step Guide to Living with Your Monster SB
- Albuquerque Turkey SD
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day SB
- The Amelia Bedelia books SB
- And to Think That We Thought That We'd Never Be Friends PJR
- Angels on a Pin PJR
- Anook the Snow Princess DS
- Apple Trouble! KN
- The "Arthur" books PJR
- Astronaut Handbook PJR
- A Bargain for Frances TS
- Bears Make Rock Soup SEE
- Beetle McGrady Eats Bugs PJR
- Be Good to Eddie Lee SB
- The Berenstain Bears series SB
- Big Pumpkin SD
- Blowing Bubbles SB
- Blueberry Girl NW
- A Boat Full of Animals SB
- Bootsie Barker Bites SB
- Boundless Grace SB
- The Boy Who Was Followed Home SD
- Captain Abdul's Pirate School SH
- Charlie Hits It Big KN
- Chase Danger, Super Spy SB
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom SB
- Chickerella SB
- Christopher Nibble DS
- Chrysanthemum SB
- The Circus Ship ST
- Clever Cat SB
- Coyote and the Laughing Butterflies MF
- A Coyote Solstice Tale SEE
- Crispin, the Pig Who Had it All PJR
- The Curious Garden IT
- Danny Schnitzlein's "Monster" books SB
- The Day They Parachuted Cats on Borneo PJR
- Diary of a Worm SB
- Dirt on My Shirt SEE
- Drumbeat in Our Feet SH
- The Duchess of Whimsy ST
- The Eagle and the Wren SB
- Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct SB
- The Elf on the Shelf SD
- Ella's Big Chance: A Jazz-Age Cinderella SD
- Ellington Was Not a Street SEE
- The Emperor's Egg SH
- The Endless String PJR
- The Fancy Nancy books SB
- Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire ST
- The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat DS
- The Fish Who Cried Wolf SB
- Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich SB
- Frankly, Frannie RH
- Fu-Dog MF
- The Girl Who Never Made Mistakes DS
- Give a Goat PJR
- The Goat Lady SH
- Go, Dog. Go! SB
- Go-Go-Go! PJR
- Go, Huckle, Go! (Richard Scarry Schoolhouse Reader) SS
- Going to the Zoo SD
- Goodnight Goon PJR
- Green Wilma SB
- Gregory, the Terrible Eater SD
- Grumblebunny MF
- Guji Guji MF
- Half a World Away PJR
- Hansel and Gretel MF
- Happy Birthday, Winnie! SS
- Hide and Sneak MF
- How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food? SD
- How My Parents Learned to Eat SH
- How to Heal a Broken Wing SH
- I Don't Want to Go ST
- I Want My Hat Back SS
- I Went to the Party in Kalamazoo SB
- If You Give a Pig a Pancake SB
- In Our Mothers' House SEE
- Instructions NW
- Jack and the Lost Tooth SB
- Jimmy Zangwow's Out-of-This-World Moon-Pie Adventure PJR
- The Junie B. Jones books SB
- Just Another Ordinary Day SS
- Just Dog DS
- Kayak Girl SB
- King Hugo's Huge Ego ST
- Ladybug Girl SB
- Leaf Man SD
- Learning to Swim in Swaziland MF
- LaRue for Mayor: Letters from the Campaign Trail SB
- Last to Finish – A Story about the Smartest Boy in Math Class
- The Legend of the Golden Snail IT
- The Leprechaun in the Basement SH
- The Life of a Baby Bee SB
- The Life and Times of Lilly the Lash
- Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse SB
- The Little Brute Family DM
- The Little Critter series SB
- Little Miss Spider SB
- The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear SD
- Llama Llama Mad at Mama PJR
- The Loathsome Dragon MF
- Lousy Rotten Stinkin' Grapes SH
- Lyle and the Birthday Party TS
- The Magic Fish DS
- The Magic Tree House books PJR
- Make a Wish, Molly MF
- Mama Went to Jail for the Vote PJR
- Man Gave Names to All the Animals SD
- Mars Needs Moms! SB
- Mary Louise Loses Her Manners PJR
- Maya Moon MF
- Mermaid Sister TS
- Miss Nelson Is Missing SD
- Mister Seahorse SB
- The Mitten SD
- Moses Goes to a Concert SB
- A Mother for Choco SB
- Mungo and the Dinosaur Island SS
- The My First Little House (on the Prairie) books PJR
- Nate the Great (series) SD
- The Night Before First Grade DS
- No Dragons for Tea: Fire Safety for Kids (and Dragons) PJR
- Now One Foot, Now the Other PJR
- Of Thee I Sing: A Letter to My Daughters MF
- Once I Ate a Pie MF
- One Little, Two Little, Three Little Pilgrims SD
- Only Tadpoles Have Tails JF
- Other Goose SB
- The Paper Bag Princess MF
- The "Parts" series PJR
- The Patch ST
- The Perfect Pumpkin Pie SB
- Pieces: A Year in Poems & Quilts SEE
- The Piggy in the Puddle SD
- Pigsty JM
- Quiet Bunny ST
- The Quiltmaker's Gift SH
- The Red Thread: An Adoption Tale PJR
- The Rose and the Lily SB
- Ruthie and the (Not So) Teeny Tiny Lie SB
- Sam and The Jungle Band SB
- Santa's Stuck PJR
- The Santa Trap SS
- Santa Who? PJR
- The Scrambled States of America SB
- Serious Trouble SB
- Seven for a Secret JF
- Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch SH
- Someone's Afraid of the Dark! DS
- Some Things Are Scary MF
- Stand Straight, Ella Kate ST
- Stand Tall, Molly Lou Melon PJR
- The Story of Babar SB
- The Story of Ferdinand TS
- The Story of Halloween PJR
- Tacky the Penguin SB
- The Tale of Eartha the Sea Turtle SB
- The Teacher from the Black Lagoon SB
- Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born SB
- There's an Alligator Under My Bed SD
- There's No Such Thing as a Dragon SD
- This Book Belongs to Aye-Aye DS
- THIS IS A POEM that heals fish SEE
- Threadbear JF
- The Three Little Pigs SD
- Three Nasty Gnarlies ST
- The Three Silly Billies SS
- Through Grandpa's Eyes SB
- Tikki Tikki Tembo SB
- Topsy-Turvy Bedtime SB
- Totally Bored Boris DS
- Traction Man Is Here SB
- The Twelve Months PJR
- Two Frogs JF
- The Ugly Vegetables PJR
- An Undone Fairy Tale SB
- Visiting Day SB
- Wabi Sabi MF
- Walter the Farting Dog TS
- Wait! No Paint! SS
- Way out in the Desert MF
- We Can Get Along JM
- Weird Parents MF
- Welcoming Babies JM
- What Are You So Grumpy About? SB
- What Food Is This? SB
- When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death SB
- When Mom Turned Into a Monster PJR
- Where Do Balloons Go? An Uplifting Mystery PJR
- The White Swan Express: A Story About Adoption SEE
- Who's Been Here? A Tale in Tracks SD
- Wings of Icarus JF
- Wolf stories, from the wolf's point of view! SB
- The Wonky Donkey SS
- Words Are Not for Hurting SH
- Yes We Can! JF
- You Got a Boogie SB
- You're a Good Sport, Miss Malarkey SB
- You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy? SB
Teen and Young Adult
Classic and Award-Winning Children's Books
From children's book reviews to Best Children's Books home.