Children's Books About
Divorce, Separation and Stepfamilies
Culled from seven sources
These children's books about divorce, separation, stepfamilies and blended families were recommended on more than one highly regarded bibliotherapy list.
Locate a book at a nearby library | Locate a book on Amazon
(links open new windows)
Children's books about divorce and separation
(Titles that appear as links are reviewed on this site)
Appearing on 4 bibliotherapy booklists
Appearing on 3 bibliotherapy booklists
Appearing on 2 bibliotherapy booklists
- A Month of Sundays by Rose Blue
- Always My Dad by Sharon Wyeth Dennis
- Always, Always by Crescent Dragonwagon
- Amber Brown Goes Fourth by Paula Danziger
- As the Crow Flies by Elizabeth Winthrop
- At Daddy's on Saturdays by Linda Walvoord Girard
- Being Danny's Dog by Phyllis Naylor
- Charlie Anderson by Barbara Abercrombie
- Daddy Doesn't Live Here Anymore: A Book About Divorce by Betty Boegehold
- Divorce and Separation by Pete Sanders
- Divorce Happens to the Nicest Kids: a Self Help Book for Kids by Michael S. Prokop
- Don't Fall Apart on Saturdays: the Children's Divorce-Survival Book by Adolph Moser
- Everything You Need To Know About Your Parents' Divorce by Linda Carloson Johnson
- For Better, For Worse: A Guide to Surviving Divorce for Preteens and Their Families by Janet Bode and Stan Mack
- Franz I Don't Want to Talk About It by Jeanie Franz Ransom
- Ginny Morris and Mom's House, Dad's House by Mary Collins Gallagher
- Guy Time by Sarah Weeks
- How To Survive Your Parents' Divorce by Nancy O'Keefe Bolick
- I Live with Daddy by Judith Vigna
- It's Not the End of the World by Judy Blume
- Let's Talk About Your Parents' Divorce by Elizabeth Weitzman
- Let's Talk About Living in a Blended Family by Elizabeth Weitzman
- Like Jake and Me by Mavis Jukes
- Mitzi's Honeymoon with Nana Potts by Barbara Williams
- My Stepfamily by Julie Johnson
- Priscilla Twice by Judith Caseley
- Since Dad Left by Caroline Binch
- Stepbrother Sabotage by Sally Wittman
- Talking About Stepfamilies by Maxine Rosenberg
- The Not-So-Wicked Stepmother by Lizi Boyd
- The Silver Coach by Carole Adler
- The Top-Secret Journal of Fiona Claire Jardin by Robin Cruise
- Two Homes by Claire Masurel
- Was It the Chocolate Pudding?: A Story for Little Kids about Divorce by Sandra Levins
- Will Dad Ever Move Back Home? by Paula Z. Hogan
Bibliotherapy - Children's divorce books special mention
Bibliotherapy - Children's books about divorce and separation
These books are fiction and non-fiction, picture books and mostly text. For that reason, you'll want to find out more about them to determine which is right for a particular situation.
This library locator finds the libraries nearest you.
Bibliotherapy is the use of books to help children cope, understand and heal. On the bibliotherapy page you can learn more and also find lists of children's books appropriate for other situations.
This list of children's books about divorce and separation, stepfamilies and blended families, was compiled by consulting some of the best bibliotherapy booklists on the subject and finding the books that were common to more than one list.
The seven sources I consulted were:
- Allen County (Indiana) Public Library
- Homewood (Illinois) Public Library
- The Logan (Utah) Library
- Magination Press (Publisher for the American Psychological Ass'n)
- Mid-Continent (Missouri) Public Library
- Nancy J. Keane's ATN Booklists
- Seattle (Washington) Public Library
Amazon search results for children's books about divorce and separation.
The bibliotherapy page contains more booklists.
Best Children's Books - Find, Read or Write home page.