Children's Books About
Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
Culled from seven sources
These children's books about alcoholism and drug abuse were recommended on more than one highly regarded list.Locate a book at a nearby library | Locate a book on Amazon
(links open new windows)Children's books about alcoholism and drug abuse
(Titles that appear as links are reviewed on this site)
Appearing on 3 bibliotherapy lists
- I Can Talk About What Hurts: A Book for Kids in Homes Where There's Chemical Dependency by Janet Sinberg
Appearing on 2 bibliotherapy lists
- Alateen-A Day At A Time
- Alateen-Hope for Children of Alcoholics
- Daddy Doesn't Have to Be a Giant Anymore by Thomas Jane Resh
- Danger: Cocaine by Ruth Chier
- Danger: Crack by Ruth Chier
- Danger: Marijuana by Ruth Chier
- Focus on Cocaine and Crack by Jeffery Shulman
- Kids' Power Too: Words To Grow By by Cathey Brown, Betty LaPorte and Jerry Moe
- Living Today in Alateen
- My Dad Loves Me, My Dad has a Disease by Claudia Black
- Think of Wind by Catherine Mercury
- Up and Down the Mountain: Helping Children Cope with Parental Alcoholism by Pamela Leib Higgins
Children's Books About Substance Abuse Special Mentions
Children's books about alcoholism and drug abuse
I found a number of respected lists of children's books addressing the issue of having a family member with a substance abuse problem.
By finding the books that were common to more than one list, I hoped to determine the best of the best.
The books are fiction and non-fiction, picture books and mostly text. For that reason, you'll want to find out more about them to determine which is right for a particular situation.
This library locator finds the library nearest you.
Bibliotherapy is the use of books to help children understand and heal. On the bibliotherapy page you can learn more and also find lists of children's books appropriate for other situations.
For more children's books about drug abuse and alcoholism, you can view the complete lists the above books were drawn from.
- Alanon and Alateen books
- Allen County (Indiana) Public Library: Alcohol and Drugs
- Betty Ford Center: Children's Resources
- Bibliotherapy Education Project
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital Substance Abuse Resource List
- Girl Power (U.S. Dep't of Health and Human Services): You Are Not Alone
- Nancy Keane.com: For Younger Children, Alcoholic Parent, and Drug Abuse
Amazon search results for children's books about alcoholism.
The bibliotherapy page contains more booklists.
Best Children's Books - Find, Read or Write home page.