For Kids Struggling with Food Issues:
Books About Eating Disorders
We picked these books from six booklists about eating issues
These teen books about eating disorders were recommended on more than one highly regarded list.
Locate a book at a nearby library | Locate a book on Amazon
(links open new windows)
Books For Teens About Eating Disorders
(Titles that appear as links are reviewed on this site)
Appearing on 3 bibliotherapy lists
- One Fat Summer by Robert Lipsyte
- Fat Chance by Leslea Newman
- I Was A Fifteen-Year-Old Blimp By Patti Stren
- The Fat Girl By Marily Sachs
- I Am an Artichoke by Lucy Frank
Appearing on 2 bibliotherapy lists
- Bathing Ugly by Rebecca Bussell
- Body Blues: Weight and Depression by Laura Weeldreyer
- Extreme Elvin by Chris Lynch
- Hanged Man by Francesca Lia Block
- How I Changed My Life by Todd Strasser
- Hunger Scream by Ivy Ruckman
- Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
- Kim: Empty Inside: The Diary Of An Anonymous Teenager by Beatrice Sparks
- Life in the Fat Lane by Cherie Bennett
- The New Improved Gretchen Hubbard by Ilene Cooper
- The Pig Out Blues by Jan Greenberg
- Second Star to the Right by Deborah Hautzig
- Slot Machine by Chris Lynch
- Squashed by Joan Bauer
- Staying Fat For Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutchen
- Stick Figure: A Diary of My Former Self by Lori Gottlieb
Books About Food Issues Reviewed On Site
Teen books about eating disorders
I found a number of
respected lists of books addressing eating disorders. Most of the books
were intended for older children. Others were adult fiction but
accessible to mature teens.
For more children's books about eating disorders, find the complete lists below that the above books were drawn from.
- Plainfield-Guilford Township (IN, US) Public Library - Bibliotherapy: Eating Disorders
- Plymouth (MI, US) Library - Food Issues/Weight Concerns
- Louisville (KY, US) Public Library - Dying to be Thin
- Hewlett-Woodmere (NY, US) Public Library - Eating Disorders/Weight Control
- Mid-Continent (MO, US) Public Library - Too Fat, Too Thin, Too Tall, Too Short
- C.S. Mott Children's Hospital (MI, US) - Eating Disorders Resource List
Amazon search results for books about eating disorders.
Children's books about good nutrition.
More bibliotherapy booklists.
Best Children's Books - Find, Read or Write home page.